This award acknowledges the outstanding level of professionalism and integrity by a top performing senior broker in five regions - NSW/ACT, Qld, SA/NT, Vic/Tas and WA. The winner of the national award is selected from the state winners.
The award honours the late Stephen Ball and his tremendous contribution to the insurance broking industry, as a former JLT Australia Chairman and NIBA President.
Nominees will be judged on the following criteria:
1. Being an inspirational representative for the broking profession:
- Commitment to the development and promotion of the insurance broking profession i.e., participation in committees, mentoring opportunities, volunteer activities.
- Contribution towards the team in which you work.
2. Demonstrated professionalism in broking practice:
- Demonstrated integrity towards your clients and strength of insurer relationships.
3. Commitment to your professional development:
- Achievements to date in your career.
- Outline of your career goals and how you plan to achieve them.
4. Demonstrated contribution to the broader community:
- Demonstrate how your contributions have benefited the broader community.
To be eligible, nominees need to:
- Be an individual member of NIBA and hold the designation of QPIB.
- Hold a full Diploma of Insurance Broking.
- Worked for a minimum of three out of the last five years broking in Australia.
- Individuals may only be nominated once. The number of nominations received per nominee bears no weight in their selection.
- Individuals can be nominated in only one state or territory. For example, a person who has recently moved interstate will be eligible for consideration in only one location. Selection panels may choose to contact the nominee for them to determine which jurisdiction is most appropriate.
Previous entrants and winners:
- Past entrants to the award can re-enter.
- Previous winners will not be eligible for the award.
- Who can nominate
- Anyone in the insurance industry can nominate a broker.
- Anonymous and self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Award Entitlements
The five state winners will participate in a national selection process and be awarded a prize valued up to $4,000:
- A pre-paid MasterCard gift card valued $500
- 1 x NIBA Convention pass + Convention Gala Dinner ticket – 8-10 October 2023 on the Gold Coast
- Return flights from your nearest capital city to the Gold Coast and accommodation x 2 nights to attend the NIBA Convention.
- A personalised professional development package with The Langley Group valued at $1,500*
*The personalised professional development packages will be crafted in consultation with each winner and may include a selection of one-on-one coaching sessions, strengths profiles, workshops, and/or online learning packages.
The winner of the national Broker of the Year award, announced at the NIBA Convention, is selected from the five state winners and will receive a travel experience of your choice valued at $10,000.
- Key Dates
Entrants must be available to participate in their state's Award Panel Interview and Gala Lunch, as well as all other award activities as outlined below.
Month Date Activity FEBRUARY Wednesday 8 February 2023 Nominations open MARCH Wednesday 22 March 2023 Nominations close APRIL Monday 3 April 2023 Submissions close Monday 3 – Thursday, 7 April Submissions reviewed by State Committees Tuesday 11 – Friday, 14 April State finalists announced Monday 17 – Friday, 21 April State Award Panel Interviews MAY Friday 19 May 2023 Gala Lunch VIC/TAS JULY Wednesday 12 July 2023 Gala Lunch NSW/ACT Friday 14 July 2023 Gala Lunch WA Wednesday 19 July 2023 Gala Lunch QLD Friday 21 July 2023 Gala Lunch SA/NT SEPTEMBER TBC Virtual National Award Selection Process OCTOBER Sunday, 8 – Tuesday, 10 October 2023 NIBA Convention (QLD)**
**QBE coordinate and fund travel requirements
Broker of the Year award winners
Barry Sonter, Finsura
Sally Coulton, WTW
Tony Venning, Crucial Insurance
Shelley Hymas, Phoenix Insurance Brokers
Lisa Carter, Clear Insurance
Kim Gilbert, Zenith Insurance Services
Brett Piggott, Willis Temby Insurance Brokers
Dale Hansen, Austbrokers Coast to Coast
John Mutton, InterRISK (currently Marsh)
Alan Wilson, Alan Wilson Insurance Brokers
Bunmi Ajayi, Megalines Insurance & Risk Advisers
Danny Gumm, Parmia Insurance