NIBA's previous campaigns
NIBA's approach to representation is to explain to governments, regulators and others the likely impact proposals for reform will have on the insurance market and on the clients of NIBA members.
NIBA has taken the opportunity over a long period of time to explain the importance of insurance to all sectors of society and the economy, how insurance operates, and the benefits and importance of using an insurance broker.
Some of the key areas of activity in which NIBA has achieved important outcomes for insurance brokers and their clients include:-
- Limiting the impact of Future of Financial Advice reforms on insurance brokers, especially in relation to general insurance products.
- Successfully opposing an excessive regulatory regime in relation to the funding of insurance premiums.
- Supporting the removal of Fire Services Levies on insurance premiums across Australia, including the recent reforms in Victoria.
- Ensuring the regulation of insurance broking in Australia under the Corporations Act is reasonable and appropiate to the nature of the work and the relationships that exist between insurance brokers and their clients.
- Explaining the role of insurance brokers to governments, Members of Parliament, communities and the media in times of major natural disasters.
- Development and implement of a strong industry Code of Practice.
- Development and implementation of quality industry education and training pathways, and the implementation of professional qualifications (Qualified Practising Insurance Broker) under NIBA.
Most NIBA submissions are available for access on the Government Submissions page.